It's a fact: Overexposure to the sun can result in skin cancer later in life. What are your family's risks from exposure to powerful UV rays? Consider these facts and statistics.
The Dangers of UV Exposure
- You can sunburn even on a cloudy day.
- On average, children get 3 times more exposure than adults.
- Concrete, sand, water, and snow reflect 85% to 90% of the sun's UV rays.
- Depletion of Earth's ozone continues to increase your exposure to UV rays.
- In some parts of the world, melanoma is increasing at rates faster than any other cancer.
- More than 1.2 million new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the US.
- Melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, kills one person every hour.
- One blistering sunburn can double a child's lifetime risk of developing skin cancer.